Tuesday, March 5, 2013

Red Neck Trailer Towing

sharenator.com
This was a real question posted in the Duramax Diesel forum. I guess we all forget that many without professional driving experience would not realize the danger of this combination!

“Do you guys think there would be any legal issues with towing a gooseneck trailer off of the rear hitch?
I am looking at getting a 20 ft 14K flat bed trailer. The trailer comes in either a gooseneck or a bumper pull. I like the towing characteristics of a gooseneck, but I would also like to keep the bed open at times. I would use it as a gooseneck when towing heavy and bumper pull it only when light. I want to buy one trailer to do everything. While 14k will be overkill for most of what I will use it for, I would rather have too beefy of a trailer than be stuck on the side of the road with a bearing failure.
The trailers I'm looking at are identical in every way from the headache rack to the tail. The gooseneck coupler isn't any further than a couple of feet more forward of the headache rack compared to the coupler of the bumper pull. The gooseneck only weighs 800 lbs more at 3650 lbs.
Any thoughts, am I crazy, is it legal?”

encyclopedia.com


-->

No comments:

Post a Comment