Sunday, March 4, 2012

My Harley Davidson StoryI

Mary and Me - 2008

I grew up owning a variety of Honda motorcycles. My dad bought a little 50cc scooter when I was a young teenager (it looked like a Vespa) and it was thrilling to go for rides on the back with him. He graduated to a 90cc, then a 160cc to a 450. When I turned 16, I bought his Honda 160 and then went to a 4 carb,4 cylinder 750 that I had bored out to 811cc with a hot cam installed.  Years later, I bought a 1100cc V65 Magna, a Goldwing Interstate and a 900cc Custom before I quit riding and sold the last one about 1995. I was a Honda guy for a lot of years and they do have good products!
2009
Along comes 2005.
On my annual vacation trip back to Wisconsin my best friend, Bob of more than 40 years talked me into renting a Harley Road King for three days. He and his wife had a nice Road King and had been riding for a few years. Having had such a blast, I have been hooked on Harley's ever since.  They are totally different bikes from the old days when AMF owned them back in the 70’s! The feel and build quality have improved so much. I actually worked at Harley Davidson for a very short time in 1970 Milwaukee. They hired me and stuck me on a golf cart assembly line!

2010
Now, every September, my wife and I go back and rent for a week.  The last two years we have rented a Trike. My wife is now a rabid Harley fan and we have a blast going to the annual motorcycle rally in Tomahawk, Wisconsin every September. With my buddy and his wife (and friends), it is the highlight of our year! I wish we could afford to buy one, but renting for a week annually will have to do!
2011

Update: In 2012 we rented another black trike. This year we found a pretty good deal on a seven day rental at only $675 for the week. Almost all the other dealers that I checked wanted about $1200!
A chilly day in Wisconsin!



No comments:

Post a Comment