Sunday, August 26, 2012

The Packer president's MVP

Packer President Mark Murphy, Margaret Meyers, NFL Commissioner  Robert Goodell
Behind the scenes article courtesy of and thanks to the Marinette Eagle Herald. Link to their website follows:
August 18, 2012 By JODY KORCH
EagleHerald sports editor

GREEN BAY - Margaret Meyers' timing was perfect when she started with the Green Bay Packers 33 years ago. Her Aug. 1 retirement couldn't have been timed any better, either.

In between, she carved out a remarkable behind-the-scenes career with one of the NFL's oldest franchises.
Since June 25, 1979 - her first day with the Packers - Meyers has worked with seven head coaches and has seen generations of players come and go.
A 1968 graduate of Marinette High School and town of Stephenson resident, Meyers (formerly Margaret Lund) recalled accepting another job through Job Service. "And they called me and said 'I think you might want to go for this interview,'" she said.
She went to that interview, conducted by Bob Harlan, and was hired by the Green Bay Packers for an office job that included, among other responsibilities, writing shorthand and working the switchboard.
"When I first started I was hired to work with (former business manager) Tom Miller," Meyers said.
She also assisted a coach's secretary with game planning. She helped with statistics and assembling playbooks.
In 1982, Harlan was the team's player negotiator.
"He asked me to assist him with player contracts," Meyers said.

For 20 years, Meyers typed player contracts. That included contracts for former Packer legends Brett Favre and Reggie White.
Meyers was on hand to watch Reggie sign his free agent contract with the Packers, a moment which catapulted the franchise to the top and directly led to the highlight of her career.
"Nice guy," she said of White. "Very nice."
She got to know Favre during his early years with the club.
"He was a kid and loved the game," she said. "I'll never forget the press conference when he retired. I actually got to shake his hand."

Meyers also worked with former Packers' general managers Tom Braatz and Ron Wolf and with Mike Reinfeldt, a former chief financial officer and vice president of administration.
In recent years she served as executive assistant for Packers' President/CEO Mark Murphy. She kept his calendar, planned his appointments and took notes at board meetings and subcommittee meetings.
"He was a joy to work with," Meyers said. "He's just a very genuine person, which I love about him. It was a hard decision to retire because I loved my job and I loved the people I worked with."
After 17 1/2 seasons with the team, Meyers earned the first of two Super Bowl rings.
"My biggest memory is Super Bowl XXXI," Meyers said. "Knowing how hard it was to get there after all those years, absolutely New Orleans is my biggest memory."
Meyers won't forget the day she retired, either. A reception in her honor at Lambeau Field attracted 250 people, including the entire staff and the board's executive committee. Harlan and Murphy spoke on her behalf. So did NFL commissioner Roger Goodell, who just happened to be in town during his visits to all 32 NFL training camps. Goodell presented the longtime Packer employee with a crystal football.
"Very nice," Meyers said of the commish. "I've met him before here for a shareholders' meeting. He just congratulated me for retiring."
During her career, Meyers saw the NFL grow exponentially. When she started, the Packers had about 50 employees. That number has swelled to more than 200, not including game day personnel.
"Back then we didn't have a marketing department," Meyers said.
In the offices of NFL teams, there is no offseason.
"Most people just don't know what is behind a team," Meyers said. "For years people would say, 'So, do you work in the offseason or are you off?' People had this misconception. The offseason is a busy time for all of the other departments as we prepare for next year."
Her least favorite day in the NFL may have been Dec. 19, 1983.
"When Bart Starr was let go, to see him go, that was difficult," she said.
Her husband, Keith, has been retired for 10 years. They have a daughter, Debbi, 41, a son, Jeff, 38, and three grandchildren.
"I wanted to do that (retire) when I'm young," the 62-year-young Meyers said. "I didn't ever want to feel that I waited too long. We hope to travel some. I hope to learn how to golf. Do a little more volunteer work."
At last month's shareholders' meeting, Meyers was recognized by Murphy and received an ovation from the nearly 13,000 in attendance.
"At my party I said when Bob hired me, I'd have never thought I'd be standing here after 33 years with this organization," Meyers said.

Link: Marinette EagleHerald




No comments:

Post a Comment