Saturday, November 19, 2016

My Review - The AeroPress Coffee Maker

aeropress.com.au
A while back I received an email from Constance Adler of Aerobie, Inc. asking if I would be willing to try out their Aeopress Coffee Maker and write a review about it after sending me one. I agreed to give it a try and get back to her. The following is my review:

A few days later I received one in the mail and read through the instructions. It’s basically a manual filtered press, that you can make one to three cups of coffee in about a minute or so. Since I only drink one or maybe two cups of coffee in the morning it’s great for me.

Additionally, the unit comes apart quickly, easily cleans up with a rinse of water and is very portable. It even comes with a tote bag that you can travel with, making it very convenient for people on the go, especially truck drivers.

The first time I used it, the cup of coffee was OK, but a bit weak for my taste. After experimenting with a couple different grinds and measurements of coffee I was able to refine it to my taste and I can now make a cup quickly and easily that tastes the same from one to the next. Every week I put enough regular grind coffee (I’ve been using 8 O’clock medium roast) to last about a week into a grinder and turn it on for just a couple seconds. If you don’t have a grinder, you can use an Espresso grind coffee. I then store in a small tin for the week. I prefer one heaping scoop per cup with the spoon that’s included.
amazon.com

Easy to use, just put a filter in the cap, put cap on the chamber, put in coffee, add water, stir 10 seconds. Insert plunger and push through gently for 20 to 60 seconds into your cup. Everything you need is included, even the measuring scoop and stirrer. All you need is the cup and after it is full, take the press apart, dump the grounds and rinse with water.

The only issue I had was having a source of hot water. You really need to have water between 175 to 185 degrees for a good cup. Tap water is not hot enough for this, so unless you have instant hot water in your kitchen, you can experiment with the microwave or heat water on the stove.

My solution? I use my old 4 cup coffee maker and just run water through it without coffee. It only takes a minute or two while you get the other stuff ready. Only heating enough for a cup or two, I then have a small pot of hot water that I can easily pour into the chamber, works great.

For truck drivers, it travels well in a tote and if you can source hot enough water, you’ll know you will get a great cup of coffee every time. How often have you gotten coffee at a truck stop that was old, burnt and tasted horrible? And, it’s a heck of a lot cheaper than buying it by the cup!

I like this product, once you get the formula down, you’re good to go. Thanks Constance!



No comments:

Post a Comment